2016 - Recap
Woah! Just like that and 2016 is coming to an end. I tend to feel this way around the year end, just like many of you, that this went by WAY too fast (way faster than the year before, right?)! I believe this partly has to do with the last few months of the year being a mix of holidays, family gatherings, travel, and much more, making time go by so quickly. At the end of this year I find myself reflecting about so many things that happened in my life specifically, but in the world in general as well.
From deaths in the music and entertainment industry, to a humanitarian crisis in Allepo and many other areas, to countless domestic tragedies involving hate, racism, and terrorism, to an unprecedented POTUS election (did not see that coming at this point last year), these were the stories that became much more than "topics" of discussion... they became the entire discussion. We have smothered ourselves in such negative energy that we haven't left any room for the much needed positive energy. 2016 has even been dubbed by social media as the "worst year in history". To me, that statement is overdramatic and a "glass not close to being half full" mentality that I won't succumb to.
Let's take a look at some of few positives of 2016:
- Unemployment is at its lowest level since the Great Recession
- Catholic and Orthodox leaders met for the first time in 1,000 years - WOW
- Harriett Tubman will replace Andrew Jackson on the $20 bill
- USA brought home the gold from the Summer Olympics in Brazil
- National Park Service turned 100!
- U.S. high school graduation rates reached a record high
- Physicists confirm Albert Einstein's theory of "gravitational waves"
I'm not saying that we should turn our head when bad things happen and not have a reaction to them - all I am proposing is that we don't dwell on the negative for longer than we need to. Move on and keep focusing on everything in this world that is amazing!
The 2016 road for me was definitely bumpy at times, but I can say it was one of my favorite years.
Top memories of 2016 for ME:
- First time shooting a show at Red Rocks - just so happened to be two of my favorite bands!
- Black Canyon National Park (with my mother)
- Great Sand Dunes National Park (with my mother)
- Royal Gorge Park (with my mother)
- Traveling to the Dominican Republic by myself for four days (epic and scary time!)
- Starting my own photography business
- First time capturing astrophotography at Mt. Evans
- New place living by myself for the first time EVER
- My family stayed healthy
- I stayed mostly healthy
- 311 playing Reggae on the Rocks and all of the other amazing shows at Red Rocks
- Being with family on Thanksgiving
- BEING ALIVE
Sometimes just writing these things down makes us realize a lot more GOOD happened than BAD - a lot of it comes down to perspective which can be lost when things go wrong.
For 2017, I have made many goals for myself as well as my company. I am looking forward to working my tail off while meeting new people and traveling as much as possible. At the top of my list for things to work on is to eliminate distractions. In today's world, we are surrounded by distractions - things that are constantly trying to deter us from our goals. They come in all forms, shapes, and sizes, and aren't going anywhere soon... so STAY FOCUSED. Let's say that one more time... STAY FOCUSED!
Happy New Year everyone!